Password:

Forgot your password?
Shout Box

Shout Box
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [Suggestions]
Secondary: None

Would it be possible to get some customization to the shout box? Like width, and height(or # of lines)? I would like to position it above the content, and have it span to 100% ... so it fills all the way across (in between the 2 menu bars ...

Also ... I saw on another site ... about Tiger Woods golf ... they had the shoutbox integrated with the forums ... so it was kind of like an archive of shouts so to speak ... I guess it would only show the shouts from the last 20 shouts or something ... but every shout was mirrored into the forums somehow ...

Seems you could do this pretty easily by posting each shout to a Thread Tag called Shout Box ... I'll try and remeber where that site is ... I think it's bookmarked at home.

One other cute thing they had was a "quote of the moment" box ... not really sure how it worked ... but would be cool for users to have the ability to submit a quote ... then officers would be able to approve or reject them ... and the approved ones would be added to a database that was randomly drawn from ...

--
Any chance this will will be possible? Mostly concerned about being able to resize the shoutbox .. the forum thing isn't all that important, just thought it was an interesting twist.

--
I can look into adding more CSS stuff to the shoutbox.

--
It's all in the reflexes.
curious on the status of this being that the css has been changed somewhat ... would still really love to be able to resize the shoutbox.

--
this can be done by adding this to your CSS file

#shoutbox_menu{
width: 100%;
}

Note that there is already inline HTML Styles on the shoutbox, which can't be over-ridden because they take precedence, and are hardcoded into Chops PHP. those values are:

overflow: auto;
height: 200px;
font-weight: normal;
font-size: 7.5p

Aside from those, you can pretty much do whatever you want in the CSS.
That doesn't seem to do anything for me. I was trying to position the shoutbox above the main content, and have it stretch the full width of the main content box ... but it was still 150px wide. I checked the source and nothing had changed in the definition of the shoutbox.

At this point I think I am just going to go find a java shoutbox ... if that's even possible?

--
Quote by Noblekain
this can be done by adding this to your CSS file

#shoutbox_menu{
width: 100%;
}

Note that there is already inline HTML Styles on the shoutbox, which can't be over-ridden because they take precedence, and are hardcoded into Chops PHP. those values are:

overflow: auto;
height: 200px;
font-weight: normal;
font-size: 7.5p

Aside from those, you can pretty much do whatever you want in the CSS.

Okay so the height of the box is hard coded into PHP. Would it be possible to make it 400px tall? I've also wondered about making it taller myself so it's easier to see more than just one or two shouts at a glance.
I need to make the shoutbox customizable, and I'm going to implement something like that.

--
Any update on this?

No rush, just curious ^_^

--
Quote by dj
Any update on this?

No rush, just curious ^_^

http://www.dkpsystem.com/viewthread.php?threadid=4131

--
Cool!

But, I don't know what I am doing wrong, but I am not getting what I had hoped I would get.

What I would like to get is a shoutbox that sits on top of the main content of the page, and is the same width as the main content of the page.

I added the code Noblekain suggested, and I added width:100%; to the shoutbox class, but it just puts the shoutbox at the top of the content, with the default width.

--
Could you post the layout file? I'll have a look and see what I can uncover.

--
Quote by Chops
Could you post the layout file? I'll have a look and see what I can uncover.

I'm even more confused now.

My site shows the shoutbox in it's old location, 2nd to last thing on the Right Sidebar, but when i save the layout from the advanced layout tab, the code shows it where I was trying to place it, above the main content ...

Anyway, it's attached. Thanks!

--
My site shows the shoutbox in it's old location, 2nd to last thing on the Right Sidebar, but when i save the layout from the advanced layout tab, the code shows it where I was trying to place it, above the main content ...

That Code that's Deployed isn't necessarily the code that's in the "current Layout File". The current layout file code is the very latest version you've uploaded, whether or not you've deployed it.

--
That makes sense, and I think I thought that, but wasn't sure.

Anyway, I have been messing around with the css changes you made in the sticky, and am just not seeing any of them actually changing anything on my site. Do I have something setup wrong?

Are the css changes immediate or do they, like the layout uploads, take some time? ((hmm .. cool,the shoutbox changed some now, so I guess there is a delay, I'l continue to fiddle))

--
I know what's wrong. The problem is that the shoutbox is still displaying inside a menu. I need to make a new Advanced Layout function to seperate the Shoutbox out..

Gimme a minute

--
awesome, and that is hilarious because I just went in and tried to change
<--System:Menu:Shout Box-->

to

<--System:Shout Box-->

^_^

--
Alrighty. <!--System:Shoutbox--> is now a command. This will display the shoutbox without the surrounding (and limiting) menu.

I've actually changed it on your current layout, so just clicking "Test it" will give you what you need, I believe.

--
Yep! That works great!

/happydance

Thanks Chops!

--
Ok, I know I am prolly pushing my luck here, but ... is it possible to reconfigure the shoutbox messages to look more like :

Dj : 11/20/07 : 2pm : This message is a shoutbox message that is left justified with the posters name at the left, followed by the date and time, followed by the message and ending with a link to ... [DELETE]

Obviously, I imagine the problem is as usual, 5000 ppl wanting to see it 5000 ways ... but unfortunately, it looks a little odd the way I have it setup now :{ ... which is probably my own fault for not understanding how it was setup in the first place.

--

[Back to Index]