Password:

Forgot your password?
Application Permissions

Application Permissions
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [General]
Secondary: None

I just changed the settings for our forum apps as we've recently changed our officer ranks. I changed the rank on my test account to that of the lowest ranking officer to see what those guys would see and none of the old applications popped up. Out of curiosity, I posted a random test application and now, the test account can only see THAT. Now, I'm just wondering if this is how it's supposed to work, or should the older applications should have been available for viewing?

Thanks!
When applications are set to "Private" mode (which is the default), then this is as designed.

If you wish to set them to "Non-Private" mode, you'll want to make sure you have the applications going to the correct thread tag in order for the correct rank to see them.

If you head to Admin > Application Settings, you can change all that stuff.

--
It's all in the reflexes.
Chops, I don't want to step on any toes here, but I read that 3 times and still had problems following it. Here's what I think you are saying though, and from my understanding of the apps and private threads.

When an app gets sent in, if you have it set to private, it does a who should recieve this thread check, and assigns everyone that was an officer(or whatever rank you have it set for) access to view the application thread. It only does that check and assignment when the app is submitted, so only new apps will be assigned to your new rankings. Nothing retroactive.

Even if you changed it from private to non-private and had them posted only in a specific thread tag it probably wouldn't help, since I don't believe the system will reparse all the old apps.

Or...to make a long story short, working as intended

--

Even if you changed it from private to non-private and had them posted only in a specific thread tag it probably wouldn't help, since I don't believe the system will reparse all the old apps.

Close, but not quite. Switching to "Non-Private" simply removes the private flag from the application threads. So in a sense it is retroactive. However, if you make your applications "Private" again, it will remember the original settings and those who had access to the thread at the time will only have access again.

In short, when in "Private" mode, there's no way to change who has access to existing apps. Removing private mode allows you to control which rank has access to all the applications (regardless of when it was created), and this is done by controlling the settings of the Applications Thread tag (or rather, the thread tag into which applications go).

Does that make a little more sense?

--
It's all in the reflexes.
Eh, I tried, and I learned. Always a good day when i learn something new

--

Thanks for the reply, Chops!

[Back to Index]