Password:

Forgot your password?
Chat Re-enabled

Chat Re-enabled
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [General]
Secondary: None

Just letting everyone know that Chat is temporarily disabled for a few days for testing.

Hope you guys can handle it

Chat has been re-enabled. I'm going to be watching the server to see what kinda hit it takes as a result, but for now, chat is back up. /invite has been disabled however.

--
It's all in the reflexes.
Just letting everyone know that Chat is temporarily disabled for a few days for testing.

Hope you guys can handle it

Honestly that is my favorite feature of the site. Now i am actually going to have to get work done
Honestly that is my favorite feature of the site. Now i am actually going to have to get work don

I know it is, and I knew it would bug you.

I'm going to test this out a bit, and if the server seems more stable as a result of taking chat off, I'll move it to another server.

--
Sounds good, we have started having an average of 10+ people in chat for a majority of the day now, so it was getting a little distracting. I cant wait to see chat channels in there. Keep up the good work!
when can we expect this back up? i want to talk about our pwnage of NEF last night with all my guildies, but cant do so untill you give us chat again
While the site has been stable since I took down chat, I need to make sure that that's what's pushing the site over the threshold. I'd like to give it a few days before saying confidently that chat is what's killing it, and then trying to rewrite it temporarily before I bring in another server JUST to handle chat.

--
when can we expect to see chat enabled.
I'm in the process of a rewrite for the Chat. I'm still testing to see if Chat is Indeed what was bringing down the site, and so far, that's turning out to be the case. I want to get it re-enabled this week, but that might be pushing it, given the scale of the rewrite.

--
Thats cool. Any chance that you might implement your channel idea into this patch?
Thats cool. Any chance that you might implement your channel idea into this patch?

Probably not. But we'll see.

--
I know that i am starting to get a little annoying, but we have 8 people on our site just hanging out posting crap like it was myspace, please give us chat back and if its not ready please give me ETA on it so i can tell people to get off me.
If the site doesn't have any downtime tonight, I'm going to make a tweak to the existing chat code, and relaunch it tomorrow to see if that doesn't bring the server down.

--
If the site doesn't have any downtime tonight, I'm going to make a tweak to the existing chat code, and relaunch it tomorrow to see if that doesn't bring the server down.

Your the MAN! thank you!
I know it's like your favorite part of the site, so I appreciate your patience. I'm confident now that some part of the chat functionality was what was bringing the server to it's knees, so I'll be easing it back in slowly. Some functions will be disabled until I can be sure they aren't a problem.

--
Re-enabled. Please see first post.

--
Little late I know,

but since I saw someone asking for multiple channels, I thought I might make a suggestion

Have you thought about using an IRC server for the back end of the chat service?

I know I've seen Web interfaces work with IRC, and this would allow people to also chat using "other" tools that may off load some of the server load from the web server taking a hit for chat services.

Just a thought

--
Louis T.

The Spreading Taint - WoW Group Admin
Rough Trade - Assistant Admin
/bump

Gotten increased usage of chat on the site during working hours. Have some ppl complaining that the "kiddie" members are annoying them since they're on summer vacation (lord help me)- did a chat channel idea get implemented? If so how can it be utilized. I have these members now telling me that I should hide the link so that only they can use it--which isn't very guild friendly, and I know those members who are cut out from using it would be wondering what happened.

Anyway- more guild woes...oh the drama...any news or updates?

thanks kindly.
The channel thing has not yet been implemented.

--

[Back to Index]