Forgot your password?
Calling for criticism

Calling for criticism
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [General]
Secondary: None

<<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >>>
When accepting / rejecting an application to the website, would it be possible to have the 'reason' you post for the acception/rejection auto-posted as a reply to the thread so that any of the other people reviewing applications can see the reason given for the acception/rejection? Right now I just copy paste it in there manually, but it would be nice to have it auto-post it to save some time.

It would also be nice to have the ability to create some form letter like acceptance and rejection notices. When we accept people it is typically the same message. I'm lazy I want to select it from a list and hit send and not retype it all the time. Also recjections - would be nice to have these broken out by class as you may or may not be recruiting a class at a particular time but may have reasons for exceptions and want to let those people know why specifically.

--
Six Demon BagRefresh This Item
Jack Burton: Hey, what more can a guy ask for?
Egg Shen: Oh, a six-demon bag!
Jack Burton: Terrific, a six-demon bag. Sensational. What's in it, Egg?
Egg Shen: Wind, fire, all that kind of thing!
When accepting / rejecting an application to the website, would it be possible to have the 'reason' you post for the acception/rejection auto-posted as a reply to the thread so that any of the other people reviewing applications can see the reason given for the acception/rejection? Right now I just copy paste it in there manually, but it would be nice to have it auto-post it to save some time.

It would also be nice to have the ability to create some form letter like acceptance and rejection notices. When we accept people it is typically the same message. I'm lazy I want to select it from a list and hit send and not retype it all the time. Also recjections - would be nice to have these broken out by class as you may or may not be recruiting a class at a particular time but may have reasons for exceptions and want to let those people know why specifically.

Yea typically i have to type this everytime:

You are the caliber of people we are looking fer. Please do the following:

1. Set up an account on the site using your Main Character as your account name.

2. Please read the "Code of Conduct"

3. Enjoy the Site, use it to your advantage i.e. Forums, Guild Bank (All Items Are Free), Profession Guides, Class Guide, and soon to come Guides on all End Game Dungeons (instances).

Welcome to Universal Order

Sham
GM

Yea i know sounds kinda lame but warm

--
If your also asking for site suggestions, what about built in flash intros? If you have to pay for a pre-made flash intro, would it be possible to add something to that effect into the site. As a pay for extra option to the guild operator?

I think a flash intro would be cool, and if one can be set up and be as customizable as just about any of the other features that are avaliable to us. Hell, I'd throw down some more cash for my own customizable flash intro. Since we have the option of splash pages now, why not flash intros too?

--
The Splash page can contain a flash intro. In fact, it can be whatever you want it to be. The caveat, however, is that you have to make the appropriate HTML page to handle the flash.

However, implementing the ability to just upload a flash file, or an image as the splash page is something I'm planning on doing yet.

--
It's all in the reflexes.
As I mentioned before, I was trying to code my own site from the ground up, much like this one, and I ran into the similar poblem (from back on page 1) : What happens when they register as a user, but don't create a character?

I had basically resigned myself to pretty much forcing them to a page ... whenever anyone who was registered, but didn't create a character yet ... accessed the site. The page would of course said : YOU MUST CREATE YOUR CHARACTER IN ORDER TO ACCESS THE SITE ... the in italics somewhere beneath it just explain briefly that the site NEEDS a user(for internet related reasons) and a character (for game specific content reasons) ...

then a simple PRESS HERE TO CONTINUE TO CHARACTER CREATION button.

I'll try to read through a little more of this thread as I have time ... it's a biggun ^_^ ... as I have also said before tho, all around great site you have here!

--
Ok, one feature that I loved about phpbb was the avatars. there was a mod out there too that allowed you to create galleries based on ranks ... so you could have 1 general gallery, 1 special gallery for long standing, and helpful members, and a 3rd gallery for officers ... ideally you would set it up so that there could be an unlimited # of galleries. Call me a Nazi, but I hate allowing people to put ugly Red Purple Green and Orange avatars all over my somewhat styleized site ... Or seeing 10 ppl with Homer Simpson Logos ...

Also, there is a mod that limited the number of people who could select an avatar to 1. Meaning, since I have the animated Thorium Dwarf Selected, when someone else came along and looked to select an avatar, they would not be able to select the Thorium Dwarf Avarar ..

I have some great WoW avatars if you want them to setup a base gallery, and I can make more ... if I can get around to installing fraps again (I hate how slow that software makes my cpu )

And also, Medals, or Awards were something that I saw used on a site called www.simtropolis.com ... I used to hang out there all the time making 3d models for Sim City 4 ... but then WoW came along ^_^ ...

Anyway, the idea would be that officers could create awards ... assign a name, and a title, and possibly even automated ones like Most Valid Poster of 2XXX for the person whose posts have the highest scores ... or Most Active Raider for 2XXX for the person who attended the most raids ... Loot Whore of the Year award ... for the person who spent the most DkP ... Altoholic of the year award ...

But also, the officers should be able to just create, and assign them.

There should be a maximum size for the icon for the award, and the icons should stack either above the signature, or to the right of the signature ... or something like that.

EDIT : you'll have to excuse me ^_^ as I have said, I have spent the last 6 months trying to set something like this up .. so I have a # of wild and crazy ideas ... heres 1 more :

Allow Admins, and the Original Posters of threads to "Sticky" Replies ... So when you goto a thread you see the Original Post, followed by all of the stickied replies ... followed by all of the gibberish (non-stickied replies) ... On a 200 post thread it might be good to also include anything that was stickied in it's original place so as to not break up any flow that the thread might have had ... You should likewise be able to unstiky anything that you have stickied, and also ... It should have a decent sized sticky icon on it ... or maybe even a different background color.

--
The Advanced Filter works great ... until a new tag is added. Here's my use case:

1) Setup Advanced Filter to screen out all the stuff I don't want to see.
2) Wait a month.
3) Board admin adds a new tag.
4) People heavily use the new tag.
5) A month later I find out there's a new tag and all sorts of interesting plans have been made under it.

It would be much better if new tags were automatically enabled in my filter. That way I automatically see new content and don't have to take any additional action (unless I want to exclude it). Otherwise users are forced to rely on non-tech savy people who use the Simple Filter and say a month after the fact "what do you mean you didn't see the new tag?"
It would be much better if new tags were automatically enabled in my filter.

Good call on that.

--
I wouldn't mind seeing an Edit button on each News item, down in the bottom right corner. This would make it easier for those with access to take care of typos and such.

--
I don't worship the devil, but I do agree with a lot of the things he tells me.
I haven't found a way yet- can a member (any member of their own account) delete their alternates? Whether they make a mistake in the spelling and need to change it or whether they delete them from the guild they're in- I looked around and wasn't able to see if "we" (meaning deleting our own things not from an admin aspect) can do this or do we have to go through the admin to get rid of alternates?

Thanks!

--
http://dragonarmy.dkpsystem.com/news.php
http://www.myspace.com/peligrie
I haven't found a way yet- can a member (any member of their own account) delete their alternates?

Nope. They can rename their characters to fix a typo, but they cannot delete their characters for security reasons: If your guild assigns DKP to alts, or otherwise has a history of some kind of data associated with it, the characters can not just be deleted by the owner.

The Admins can delete the Character by going to Admin > Characters, clicking "Edit" next to the appropriate character, then "Delete".

Instead I have plans on implementing an addition to the Alert system which be something to the effect of "LoginX would like to delete the character XYZ. Is this authorized?"

--
ok. Thank you I'll inform the masses.

--
I've not read through the previous 7 pages so this may have already been mentioned and or addressed but the number one complain I have so far from trying to do a custom layout is that there seems to be a completely random number of uploads of layout.html, test it and go live processes required before it actually does go live. Test it works first time so I am assuming that proves the upload is also fine so why the random go live button? I have just spent the last 10 minutes trying to get a new change to go live, that loss of time is infuriating and frustrating.

My second gripe is more of a request. We have a list of all the <!System--XYZ--> calls on the advanced layout page but no where can I find a break down of the code within them. Now I know this is maybe done for security reasons and the preservation of the rights of the coders but it would be more than useful to be able to see how these modules are put together. Especially the locations of the #id's and .classes for people developing CSS for custom layouts. Two requests from this would be that the list of system calls possible should also be links to examples of the code so that CSS designers can see how they are structured and what elements are named what. Second would be that for those that are fully comfortable with HTML/CSS to have the ability to label and name the elements of these system modules as they see fit, i.e. for me to be able to go into say the calendar and place my own #id or .class tags into the code that will be generated for the layout. It would give me greater control and allow for more freedom in custom design.

I am still new to this though so I may discover more and or answer some of this as I go.

--
To know the universe is to be wise
To know yourself is to be enlightend
Quote by Taylia
Test it works first time so I am assuming that proves
the upload is also fine so why the random go live button? I have just spent the last 10 minutes trying to get a new change to go live, that loss of time is infuriating and frustrating.

Browsers by default may be what your problem is here. Some and sometimes all your changes might not appear right away because the page is cached. When you hit test it pushes you to a test page that you rarely visit and thus is not cached. When you hit go live you are redirecting to the same page your have always used and it is likely cached. So my suggestion is look to see if your browser has a setting to support getting data Every Time you visit a page rather than relying mostly on cache. Otherwise when deploying new version people should simply try to remember to dump their cache. I do this and have never had the problem with pages not looking refreshed when changing the layout.

Quote by Taylia
My second gripe is more of a request. We have a list of all the <!System--XYZ--> calls on the advanced layout page but no where can I find a break down of the code within them. Now I know this is maybe done for security reasons and the preservation of the rights of the coders but it would be more than useful to be able to see how these modules are put together. Especially the locations of the #id's and .classes for people developing CSS for custom layouts. Two requests from this would be that the list of system calls possible should also be links to examples of the code so that CSS designers can see how they are structured and what elements are named what. Second would be that for those that are fully comfortable with HTML/CSS to have the ability to label and name the elements of these system modules as they see fit, i.e. for me to be able to go into say the calendar and place my own #id or .class tags into the code that will be generated for the layout. It would give me greater control and allow for more freedom in custom design.

This is more of a Chops question though I believe he is trying to keep things as generic as possible with the connection between CSS and the elements of the page that are PHP so that it is really not necessary to see the classes and objects that make up the elements you are calling.

--
Six Demon BagRefresh This Item
Jack Burton: Hey, what more can a guy ask for?
Egg Shen: Oh, a six-demon bag!
Jack Burton: Terrific, a six-demon bag. Sensational. What's in it, Egg?
Egg Shen: Wind, fire, all that kind of thing!
Quote by Saudorun
This is more of a Chops question though I believe he is trying to keep things as generic as possible with the connection between CSS and the elements of the page that are PHP so that it is really not necessary to see the classes and objects that make up the elements you are calling.

It may not be necessary and true it does keep things generic but without knowing what #id and .class elements are defined then the contents of the default style sheet are little more than gibberish with out trial and error testing to anyone not already well versed in backwards design engineering.

At the very least having a list or links we could look at to understand the design methodology of chops would be of great benifit to anyone working on an advanced layout and would also enable those learning as they go to better understand and develop their clan/guild site.

I will double check my browsers cache settings though, thanks for the tip.

--
To know the universe is to be wise
To know yourself is to be enlightend
Just a suggestion for the Live Chat section. When the chat is on the task bar, is it possible to include a flashing warning when an incoming message has come in (like AIM for instance). It doesn't have to pop up on the screen (infact I'd rather it didn't, could get me into trouble at work if it did that lol) but maybe something to indicate someone has written in the chat session?

Just a thought/question/suggestion.

--
Chops,

Have you given any thought recently to allowing mass updates of website accounts?

You have a wonderful tool to see who has accessed the site and how recently but I really need to clean up some old acounts (due to a guild split) and would love to be able to check box 40-50 accounts as disabled rather than having to go into them one at a time... that could take quite a long time.

Any thoughts?

--
Quote by Svana
Chops,

Have you given any thought recently to allowing mass updates of website accounts?

You have a wonderful tool to see who has accessed the site and how recently but I really need to clean up some old acounts (due to a guild split) and would love to be able to check box 40-50 accounts as disabled rather than having to go into them one at a time... that could take quite a long time.

Any thoughts?

Love this idea!

Allowing a mass update that is not based soley on the armory would be fantastic.

-- Melynda
GM
We Band of Brothers

--
I was told I could spec Ret between 10 and 11 a.m. and do damage at a reasonable level...
This would be very good. Esp when a guild splits into another one and 10+ people go with the split. It saves time if it is possible to actually make this happen.

Wonderful new changes to the site btw. The blog and raid availability are nicely tuned.
Quote by Svana
Chops,

Any thoughts?

This would be awesome, esp if you could check box so many accounts to delete, set to a certain rank, etc.

--

<<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >>>
[Back to Index]