Logged Out
Create an Account
Login:
Password:

Forgot your password?
Disabled "alert" hover in CSS, but there's no other place to see notifications plus Admin->Ranks

Disabled "alert" hover in CSS, but there's no other place to see notifications plus Admin->Ranks
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [Support]
Secondary: None

Hi,

The alert hover at the bottom right of the browser causes page scrolling to be extremely slow in Firefox, so I set it to "display: none;" in the CSS file. Thing is, it seems there's no where else to see pending account activations. Is there no other menu I can use to activate people who have recently applied?

Also, I'm configured to be an admin on the site, yet there is no Admin -> Ranks menu for me. Another admin tells me he sees it fine. I'm wondering if there are some admin pieces that I'm simply not seeing?

Thanks
If you know the link of the page, you can just bookmark it in order to get back... I can't recall the link off the top of my head.

Also... it sounds like you might not be flagged for full admin privs on the site. If you have full admin, you'll have an 'A' next to your account in the account admin.

--
Followers of Nobility
Ok, I'll have the guy who is flagged as "host" look it up. Anyhow, good call on the URL. I suppose I could add it to a new menu, but it'd be nice to see how many pending apps there are next to the link.
What template do you use that it's causing slow scroll speeds? (what's your site's address?)

Keep in mind you could also add something like

position:static;
right:0px;
top:0px;

This should put it in the absolute top right corner.

The alert mechanism is the only means by which alerts are viewable.

--
It's all in the reflexes.
I restored the alert box, signed up a bogus user to trigger the presence of the link in the alert box, clicked it, copied the resulting URL and then created a new menu item in a custom "admin" menu that leads to that URL.

Is there a template variable that could indicate the number of pending authorizations, as well as Online Applications? My admin menu, which is only visible by admins, also contains a link to Online Applications. I'd like to place a number next to each link to indicate that there are applications and/or new users pending review.

My site is http://nightshift.dkpsystem.com. I'm using one of the drop in templates. I've modified it a bit, as you should be able to tell.

Anyhow, the problem with the alert box is: "position: fixed". Firefox, in Linux at least, absolutely HATES this. Scrolling the page up and down causes extreme video lag, as well as high CPU utilization. The same is true for fixed background images, such as is used by this forum. It doesn't happen all the time, but it happens often enough to be annoying.

Thanks for you quick response! I must say that after reading many posts in this forum, it's good to see a developer take such an interest in helping his users.

/cheer
Anyhow, the problem with the alert box is: "position: fixed"

I can see that. I've noticed that FF in windows renders it quite smoothly (I've had lag issues with IE, but never with FF in windows). I find it odd that it would be slow in linux but fine in Windows. This goes contrary to almost all of my experience with linux (performance for Quake3 on Linux with the native binary was always much faster for me than in Windows).

I've not used Firefox on linux for some time, but if you were to change it to "position:static !important" that would lock it in place so that it wouldn't scroll with the page.

--
It's all in the reflexes.

[Back to Index]