Logged Out
Create an Account
Login:
Password:

Forgot your password?
Rollout Month Completed! - 30 Features in 30 Days (updated 4/30/2009)

Rollout Month Completed! - 30 Features in 30 Days (updated 4/30/2009)
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [News]
Secondary: [General] [Suggestions] [News]

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >>>
As you may have read in the newsletter, April is going to be "Rollout Month", for which we'll be deploying at least one new feature every day in April.

This is the thread where the updates will be posted, and updated daily.

While March is most definitively NOT April, I'll start it March 31st, which included one highly requested change from over the years.

I sincerely hope you all like all the new changes being rolled out, and I look forward to your suggestions.

March 31
* Added sound effects to chat (making a noise whenever someone posts) and a /roll command.

April 1
* Added multiple voice server displays. Head to Admin > Menus > Ventrilo/Teamspeak Server Status to create a new one. It'll automatically create a new menu for you, but you may want to change the menu to another name, so as to signify the differences in servers.

April 2
* Added new Menu Category options: Recent Threads, Popular Threads, Statistics, and Recent News Posts
* Readded the ability to view a single news post

April 3
* Updated the hover-over thread summary functionality:
----The page will now search the entire page looking for valid thread links and produce summaries for them. This includes adhoc links to forum threads like this, adhoc links to specific posts like this, and any threads in the popular threads, or recent threads lists.
----The thread summary will now show some more pertinent information, rather than just the first post. If you've already seen the post in it's entirety, it'll show the first and last posts. If you have any unread posts, it'll show the first post and the first unread post.
* Added ranks to the account approval page (the one gotten to from the alerts).
* Added support for WeGame.com videos. Adding a URL to a wegame video will embed the video, much like our YouTube and Google Video functionality works.

April 4
* Added an importer from Invision Power Board into our Thread Tags system.
* Updated the Forum importer page to have a progress bar, since those files are typically pretty big uploads

April 5
* /invite has been finally re-added to chat. Typing /invite username will invite "username" to chat. You can also specify a comma-delimited list of users, ie /invite joe, frank, lucy, gandalf

April 6
* Added RSS feeds for your menus. You can add an RSS Feed in Admin > Menus > RSS Feeds, and choose to have it automatically added to your menus. Or you can choose not to, and add them manually to your menus in Admin > Menus > Menu Administration.

April 7
* Admins can now change the login name of an account.
* Added mass-selection operations to the Website Account administration page. You can currently choose to select All or None, or individually to perform actions on. You can also select by the following criteria:
----"Never Validated"
----"Inactive" (you can specify the number of days of not logging in for an account to be considered inactive)
----"Never Logged In"
----"Disabled Accounts"
----"Never Posted to the forum"
----"Has No Characters"
----"Has no characters and never posted".

You can do the following actions to the selected accounts en-masse:
----Delete (only superadmin or an account with "Full Admin Privs" can do this to help limit the damage a disgruntled ex-officer can do)
----Change Rank
----Disable
----Re-enable

April 8
* Added mass-selection operations to the Character administration. Similar to the mass-selection Account stuff above, but with character-specific stuff like selecting mains or alts, roster members, realm members, game members, etc. Can use it to change character ranks, servers, roster enrollment, retired status, etc.

April 9
* DKP Graphs have been re-added and improved. They're now flash-based graphs.

April 10
* Added item links for the new MMO, Runes of Magic. Example: Aguar's Conquering Sword

April 11
* Added the option to mark a rank as "Unrequestable", which simply means it won't show in the list of ranks when a user clicks "Wrong?" next to their rank on the logged in box. Marking all ranks as unrequestable will completely disable the "Wrong?" link.
* Added Ranks to the character approval process.

April 12
* Added "Next Events" menu option. If you head to Admin > Menus > Menu Administration, you can make a new menu for the next X events (X being specified by you).

April 13
* New Drop-In Template: Elite. Based on the "Elite Mob Medallion" in WoW.

April 14
* New Raid Progression Icon, Backgrounds, and pre-filled boss data for for Ulduar
* Ulduar bosses set for loading into DKP Destinations
* GRSS Updated for WoW 3.1 (new version 0.994 - no this isn't the super awesome new version, it's just a compatibility update)
* DKPProfiler updated for WoW 3.1 (new version 0.632)

April 15
* Another version update of the GRSS, this time, adding the bosses. Current Version: 0.995. The big update is ALMOST ready - promise.
* Updated the EPGP functionality of the site, allowing for EP or GP specific adjustments. Previously it was impossible to make negative adjustments to EP or GP, this is finally fixed.
* Updated version of the GRSS Uploader that can handle the (yet to be released) new version of the GRSS, but it has a few interface improvements, including "select all | none" checkboxes, and a new final screen that removed the "Delete the file now" message, replacing it with advice to type /grss reset, or press the "Purge" button that pops up when you load a character or reload the UI.
* Updated all the DKP editing pages to fix any timezone issues that were causing date-shifts for some configurations. This probably should now finally be completely fixed.

April 16
* Updated GRSS Mod:
----New Bidding mechanisms: Request, DKP+Roll, and Bid+Roll
----In-game adjustments: /grss adj
----manual loot recording: /grss loot
----Recording the points and incrementing players accordingly for snapshots
----Improved Zero-sum capabilities (entering "zs" when the game prompts for how much a snapshot is worth will redistribute the points of the loot to the mod).
----Improved EPGP support in the GRSS.

April 17
* LOTRO Template Added: Ominous - LOTRO (Moria)

April 18
* Added Competitive FPS/RTS League and Tourney match tracking. This includes a "Leagues and Matches" section under the "Games" menu of the Admin menu. Also added menu items for both a "Match History" menu item and a "Recent Matches" menu category option. These options will all be hidden until you add a game on your site with matches. (Note: this is not for tracking arena matches for WoW)

April 19
* Added Mass Event Signups. This allows you to sign up for all events for the next 30 days (currently not customizable). This link shows up under the "Logged In" box, and will only show up if there are events for which signups are being taken, and the system tries to determine if the user will have access to sign up for the events (looking at minimum ranks and whatnot).

April 20
* Links to external sites should now almost always open in a new window.
* Class icons on the event detail popup now have hover-over labels for which class they represent (as some games don't have built-in class icons, but users can make their own icons).

April 21
* Added Twitter feed integration. This works similarly with the newly added RSS feed integration, but here you can specify the feed by username or by search criteria.

April 22
* Added the Character-Account Associator to quickly assign orphan characters (characters without accounts) to accounts. Typically this should be performed after doing an import of some sort (say from the WoW Armory, SOE, or after possibly uploading some character information from raid snapshots or logs where characters are automatically created).

April 23
* Added the long-awaited and much requested music player. If you head to Admin > Menus > Music Playlist, you can upload some MP3 songs to your site to have played. The player itself will show up on your menu only when you have some songs uploaded. When it shows up, there'll be a "Music Player" link added to your menu, which, when clicked, will make a popup window with familiar controls and the playlist visible.

April 24
* New Decay mechanisms:
----Decay Type: Linear (independent decay at a constant rate until floor is hit). Accellerative Decay is the same decay that's always been in the system.
----EPGP-type Decay: You can set it to adjust the EP and GP totals X% every Y days.
* New DKP Tax functionality:
----Set your total DKP to tax X% every Y days (This can be done in conjuction with decay if you wish, though it's not exactly recommended).
----Inactive Tax: You can choose to make raiders who haven't raided for X days get taxed for inactivity.

April 25
* Added required viewing. You can mark guides or custom menu contents as required viewing. For all users that have access to this particular page, an alert will be generated if they haven't viewed it. Clicking the link in the alert or visiting the target page will remove the alert.

April 26
* Added arbitrary security controls for website accounts. You can use this to assign specific "Feature Access" controls to specific accounts. The most common request for this is for allowing layout controls to a specific user without having to promote that user to the minimum rank, or to change the minimum rank of the layout security control. (like for a non-officer web designer in your guild who wants to redesign your site). This function is available only for super-admin or for anyone with "Full Admin Privs"

April 27
* Added a forum importer from Simple Machines Forum.

April 28
* Added an importer for the EPGP Mod. Keep in mind that it only imports the standings, as the EPGP mod does not track an item history.

April 29
* Added a Loot System Cloner. A common request is for users to play with some of the DKP settings (usually Decay) and they'd like a sort of sandbox to play in, so they'd put in a support request to clone a DKP System. This handles that - it copies all attendance, raids, items and adjustments to the new system, named "Original-copy" where "Original" is the name of the system being cloned.

April 30
* Added a per-account DKP option (actually, it's by main character). Because of the far-reaching implications of this particular feature, there are bound to be a few places where it's still displaying information on a per-character basis, so it's being released, but enabling it will prompt you with the "This is beta and might have some bugs". The key to this is making sure that you have characters associated with accounts. If a character is not associated with an account, it doesn't matter if it's a main or an alt, it's going to display on it's own. The website account is the unifier for this.
* Updated the GRSS (version 2.010) to support the per-account DKP and also to do automatic version checking in-game. When you download the latest data, included in the data is the current version. In-game, when you open the GRSS window for the first time, it'll compare versions and if the versions are different, it'll display a quick non-intrusive message informing you that a new version is available.

And that completes Rollout Month! I hope you all liked the rapid releases and new functionality. May is likely to be "Documentation month" to update all the FAQs and documentation on the site for all the new functionality. Along with releasing more features that had been worked on during April, but were simply not completed.

--
It's all in the reflexes.
Quote by Chops
As you may have read in the newsletter, April is going to be "Rollout Month", for which we'll be deploying at least one new feature every day in April.

This is the thread where the updates will be posted, and updated daily.

While March is most definitively NOT April, I'll start it March 31st, which included one highly requested change from over the years.

I sincerely hope you all like all the new changes being rolled out, and I look forward to your suggestions.

March 31st
Added sound effects to chat (making a noise whenever someone posts) and a /roll command.

I don't know what you've got lined up for new templates, but as the leader of a females-only WoW guild, I was disappointed that there was no template with a female toon to pick for my guild. Our Goddess of the Horde site has a male blood elf at the top. It was either that or a male orc. How about a couple female choices?

--
You, yes you, are a Goddess.
Not an unreasonable request. It's honestly not something that we ever really thought of. The Warhammer templates have females in the character cycles (something I'd like to bring to WoW and other games), but now that you mention it, the five WoW themes with characters on them are all dudes (Kil'jaeden, Kael'thalas, an orc grunt, and 2 with Arthas/Deathknights).

One of the things we've been trying to do is make sure our newer templates are easily customized (either by us, or by some coders who wish to tweak things), which would allow us to put out more templates just with minor tweaks. Up until now, most of our templates have been written from scratch, but we're at a point now where we've got quite a few varieties of layout which should be tweakable to add a variety of themes to all their skeletons.

I'd definitely look forward to some new templates.

--
April 1st
* Added multiple voice server displays. Head to Admin > Menus > Ventrilo/Teamspeak Server Status to create a new one. It'll automatically create a new menu for you, but you may want to change the menu to another name, so as to signify the differences in servers.

--
Some of you may be curious about this one, and while I was a little hesitant to post this, I figured as long as I disclaim this appropriately, there's no harm.

So here it is!

I present my whiteboard (as of 5 minutes ago):

Disclaimer: there is no guarantee that ANY of the things on this board get implemented. The plan is to do it, but don't be furious if I don't actually ever launch some T-Shirts or something

(click for bigger)

Note: today's update is almost completed, an should be ready within the next hour or two.

--
Wow, you plan to do all of that in the next month?

Guess you don't plan on getting any sleep! Might have to cut trips to the RR to once per day, too!

--
Followers of Nobility
Wow, you plan to do all of that in the next month?

No, those are just the candidates. Things I'd like to add, but there's literally no way that will happen in one month.

--
April 2
* Added new Menu Category options: Recent Threads, Popular Threads, Statistics, and Recent News Posts

--
Hehe Chops,

you are a mental mental man - luv u for it though, so keep it up dude!
Quote by Chops

does this mean you can only have one news post on your front page or have i got it wrong? is there a way such that there is only one (or a few) news posts on the front page without having to scroll down forever to get to the bottom?

anyways looking forward to the new features, good work keep it up!
Good Stuff Chops!

I like the new addons, I look forward to seeing what else comes out in the new future. Templates??? Hint Hint! lol!
does this mean you can only have one news post on your front page or have i got it wrong?

Nope, it means that you can just focus on a single news post without showing any of the rest of the news page, and only if you follow a link to it. Because news items were added to the menu option, they include links to the headlines of the news, ie "Kel'Thuzad Down!", which upon clicking, will take you to the news article itself.

is there a way such that there is only one (or a few) news posts on the front page without having to scroll down forever to get to the bottom?

Yep, and it involve using the Advanced Layout Options on the news page to change the number of posts being shown. It's tough coming up with a number that works for everyone, since some guilds make very short news posts, while others load each news post with a pile of images and near complete loot histories.

--
Quote by Chops
Some of you may be curious about this one, and while I was a little hesitant to post this, I figured as long as I disclaim this appropriately, there's no harm.

So here it is!

I present my whiteboard (as of 5 minutes ago):

Disclaimer: there is no guarantee that ANY of the things on this board get implemented. The plan is to do it, but don't be furious if I don't actually ever launch some T-Shirts or something

(click for bigger)

Note: today's update is almost completed, an should be ready within the next hour or two.

Damn dude, lol! Your board liiks like my office at work!

Wow your gonna be a busy guy this month. Thanks for all your hard work!
Quote by Titanzac
Wow your gonna be a busy guy this month. Thanks for all your hard work!

Heh, You're telling me! It's only day three, and I've been working like a fiend to get these features cranked out.

Speaking of which:

April 3
* Updated the hover-over thread summary functionality:
----The page will now search the entire page looking for valid thread links and produce summaries for them. This includes adhoc links to forum threads like this, adhoc links to specific posts like this, and any threads in the popular threads, or recent threads lists.
----The thread summary will now show some more pertinent information, rather than just the first post. If you've already seen the post in it's entirety, it'll show the first and last posts. If you have any unread posts, it'll show the first post and the first unread post.
* Added ranks to the account approval page (the one gotten to from the alerts).
* Added support for WeGame.com videos. Adding a URL to a wegame video will embed the video, like the following:

Bear in mind, if you can't see the hover-over thread summaries, your browser is caching the old javascript file. If you clear your cache, you'll see the results right away. Or just give the browser some time to grab the new one. The site will work fine without the hover-over thread summaries.

If you have the hover-over thread summaries disabled, click "Edit Account" and you can check the box for "Enabled hover-over Thread Summaries"

--
Here's a little preview of what happens when you hover over a thread you don't have access to:
http://www.dkpsystem.com/viewthread.php?threadid=4902&newpost=1

--
I just wanted to post that I may not finish today's feature by midnight my time, but it'll definitely be done before tomorrow morning. I actually would be finishing it tonight, but I have to attend my cousin's "going away to the navy" party for at least a while.

I'll back working on it and will have it finished definitely tonight before it's April 5th everywhere in the world

For most of you, it won't be a huge deal, since it's an Invision Power Board importer.

--
Alright

April 4
* Added an importer from Invision Power Board into our Thread Tags system.
* Updated the Forum importer page to have a progress bar, since those files are typically pretty big uploads

--
April 5
* /invite has been finally re-added to chat. It was originally disabled for performance reasons (it uses ajax requests every X seconds) for quite a while.

In this case, it's still doing such, but we'll see how it handles itself during heavy load. It may need a few iterations (changes) before it can be called completely stable.

For now, it goes like this, after a page load:

1-60 seconds, every 7 seconds it checks for an invite
1-5 mins, every 30 seconds
5-20 mins, every 2 minutes
> 20 minutes, every 5 minutes

We'll see how the site like constant requests even from idle users. If it's a little much for the servers, I'll make it only stay active for a few minutes, rather than indefinitely.

And like the recent change to the hover-overs, this involved a change in the javascript file, so if /invite isn't working immediately, you'll just need to wait until the file gets refreshed from the server rather than their cache.

--
After going blind trying to read your whiteboard, I'll just ask. Any word if we can get an update for Ulduar item list initialize and raid progression before WoW patch 3.1? (which will probably be in the next few weeks)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >>>
[Back to Index]