Password:

Forgot your password?
Maintenance Over! IP Changed!

Maintenance Over! IP Changed!
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [General]
Secondary: None

Woot! The Maintenance is ALMOST done. I've got a few things to finish up and I can drive home (and get something to eat).

You should notice a few things.

1) The sites are going to be much faster now
2) The IP address has changed, which means that anyone with their own domain name will have to change their IP to 208.100.30.200

The true test of how powerful this new hardware is will be tomorrow during peak time. Not only that, but I've moved to a much more secure, stable, and speedier data center (and I'm certainly paying for that stability and speed - My hosting cost was increased 350%, so if the data center struggles with any of my data, someone's getting a broken neck)

I hope you all like the new changes.

--
It's all in the reflexes.
Chops,

I am getting an error when applicants trying to approve new accounts/characters after the maintenance was completed. Can you test this out?

------
Warning: socket_connect(): unable to connect [36]: Operation now in progress in /websites/dkpsystem.com/mail.php on line 19 error: 36Operation now in progress
------
I'm working on that right now. It's mail related, and the mails aren't going out. It should be working very soon.

--
Should be good to go.

--
Quote by Chops
Should be good to go.

Yes, it works great now. thanks.
The IP address has changed, which means that anyone with their own domain name will have to change their IP to 208.100.30.200

Would have been nice to know this before the server move was complete. Could have updated the DNS proactively.

In other news... thanks a ton for making the move!
Noticing a very sizeable change in load times Chops. Excellent job man, thank you.

Anthrax
Can only agree with the others - IMBA one Chops

Would have been nice to know this before the server move was complete. Could have updated the DNS proactively.

I know, I would have liked to as well. Because of how quickly this was scheduled, I wasn't able to get the IP addresses until after I was already on-site.

I figured that the inconvenience of having the site inaccessible at night was worth it given how crippled the sites were getting during peak hours.

--
I figured that the inconvenience of having the site inaccessible at night was worth it given how crippled the sites were getting during peak hours.

Oh definitely. I can't disagree with that.
There might be a lot of criticism flying right now about the lack of notification and while I agree it caught me by suprise and I was a little like "what the".

However if you have been around a while you might remember some of the growing pains when Chops first launched and DKP System seemed to go from 0 to 60 so to speak once people started finding out about it. He has increased server capacity at least 3 times between August of last year and February of this year. I recall an occasion where a file server or something was suddenly missing and hearing the details from him of how the server was actually stolen from the data center.

I applaud the quick thinking and business decision to go to a more reliable hosting center. Many people who don't work in the industry might not realize the work it takes to migrate something this big and how quickly it was done. There was something like 6ish hours of total downtime and some residual issues that Chops is working out but all in all I have to say that my access to the sites has immensely improved.

I know other are experiencing the pains of updating DNS however I can also state that even with a couple of days of notice in the IP design world Chops probably would not have been able to provide you with the new IP to update your DNS hosts with until the actual maintenance started.

--
Six Demon BagRefresh This Item
Jack Burton: Hey, what more can a guy ask for?
Egg Shen: Oh, a six-demon bag!
Jack Burton: Terrific, a six-demon bag. Sensational. What's in it, Egg?
Egg Shen: Wind, fire, all that kind of thing!
Quote by Saudorun
There might be a lot of criticism flying right now about the lack of notification and while I agree it caught me by suprise and I was a little like "what the".

However if you have been around a while you might remember some of the growing pains when Chops first launched and DKP System seemed to go from 0 to 60 so to speak once people started finding out about it. He has increased server capacity at least 3 times between August of last year and February of this year. I recall an occasion where a file server or something was suddenly missing and hearing the details from him of how the server was actually stolen from the data center.

I applaud the quick thinking and business decision to go to a more reliable hosting center. Many people who don't work in the industry might not realize the work it takes to migrate something this big and how quickly it was done. There was something like 6ish hours of total downtime and some residual issues that Chops is working out but all in all I have to say that my access to the sites has immensely improved.

I know other are experiencing the pains of updating DNS however I can also state that even with a couple of days of notice in the IP design world Chops probably would not have been able to provide you with the new IP to update your DNS hosts with until the actual maintenance started.

Gonna have to /agree here.

I was a little aggrivated as well. But I completely understand. Chops has always been there for me whenever I have had a problem. Whether via phone or a web post, he has always done whatever it took to get it fixed. This is just another indication of his dedication to all of us.

Which is why I still have my guilds site here, dkpsystem.com is growing leaps and bounds and why I won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

/salute Chops

Sorry if I was short in some posts about the IP change. Just caught me offguard too.
The fact that a ping or traceroute resolves jubilance.org as 208.100.30.200 would indicate that DNS is working.

I repeated this and it works for me from my work PC which is behind some stupidly restrictive firewalls.

I also was able to successfully browse to your site http://jubilance.org/news.php

--
Six Demon BagRefresh This Item
Jack Burton: Hey, what more can a guy ask for?
Egg Shen: Oh, a six-demon bag!
Jack Burton: Terrific, a six-demon bag. Sensational. What's in it, Egg?
Egg Shen: Wind, fire, all that kind of thing!
Quote by Chops

2) The IP address has changed, which means that anyone with their own domain name will have to change their IP to 208.100.30.200

You might want to update the following FAQ link with the new IP:
http://www.dkpsystem.com/faqanswer.php?faqid=7
Quote by Saudorun
There might be a lot of criticism flying right now about the lack of notification...

...He has increased server capacity at least 3 times between August of last year and February of this year...

Absolutely. I haven't been here very long but as an IT guy myself I was pretty amazed at how quickly this all happened. Theres a million things that can go wrong that you know of, and many many others that might blind-side you despite your best planning. It takes balls and ability to get the decision made, make it a reality, and go on after the fact.

Your kung-fu is strong, Chops-san. /bow

--

[Back to Index]