Forgot your password?
Website discussion

Website discussion
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [Suggestions]
Secondary: None

Hi chugs,

I was not sure if this should have been a private thread or not, but what the hell.

I would like to point you in the direction of a thread in our forums, as I think you find it interesting to see what is being dicussed about the dkpsystems.com web-solution. Some people love it, some people hate it.

The discussion goes on about features available, things that don't work properly and layout.

if you're interested and think that there maybe some value coming out of the discussion go to http://hoj.dkpsystem.com/viewthread.php?threadid=392

Thanks for you time
Interesting concerns.

In what way is the bank on the other system easier to use? Is there an importer or something?

As for administration, what about the other system makes administration overall easier?

I'll experiment with switching the item database from warcry to mmodb and see how feasible that will be.

--
It's all in the reflexes.
Honestly Chops, I do not think there is anything for you to be overly concerned with, as your offering has more features than the others looked at. Also having looked at the administration side of things the other offerings are different, but not necessarily better. Some of the features are easier to use... specifically layouts. But perhaps that is a problem we have, as no one knows how to enhance the basic layout of the website. And if anyone does, they have not come forward. I have looked at the drop in templates on offer at the moment and I can safely say that no-one from our guild like any of them. Perhaps I just ought to learn how to do it?

The bank tool from your system is superb, as we use the small file extractor and upload the data into the dkpsystem database, tick the check-box, "Bob's your uncle Fannies your aunt" and it's all displayed for you.... But I gave up WoW over half a year ago now and this tool is not available to LOTRO people. We currently type everything into MS Excel and with some function tools in another column, the worksheet builds the bbcode in order for me to copy and past into a dedicated forum thread. This is not ideal and time consuming. Other offerings allow your to assign people specifically administer the bank and type straight into the database. This would be easier, as the duties of looking after the bank can be shared easily. That said, no one has the importer feature to my knowledge...... So when it comes around the LOTRO it would be sweet.

As for the loot link, its a lovely touch, and not everyone appears to do something like this. The reason we mentioned MMODB, is that the user can submit data themselves, which is good, as it builds a more comprehensive database and a shorter period of time. WarCry.com is very slow, limited in data and somewhat awkward to use. You may have also seen in the thread I pointed you to about using API. I have no idea what this is, but perhaps you could shed a little light on that for me?

The likely outcome of all this is that we will not move to another sight, it was hard enough getting our members to sign up in the first place, so moving I think would be a bad idea. But the discussion is highlighting some points that perhaps you might want to see.

Thanks for you time.
Something else came up in discussion too. Would we be able to have a tool for Factions in the character profile?

If it were to work in exactly the same way as Professions, it would suit gamers from all over and not be bias towards a single game (i.e. WoW).
Quote by rikward
Honestly Chops, I do not think there is anything for you to be overly concerned with, as your offering has more features than the others looked at. Also having looked at the administration side of things the other offerings are different, but not necessarily better. Some of the features are easier to use... specifically layouts. But perhaps that is a problem we have, as no one knows how to enhance the basic layout of the website. And if anyone does, they have not come forward. I have looked at the drop in templates on offer at the moment and I can safely say that no-one from our guild like any of them. Perhaps I just ought to learn how to do it?

I've got a few more drop in templates coming (and an incentive program for people to submit more of them). Perhaps when I'm finished with some features I'll make a few more myself, but I'm dreadfully SLOOOOOW with making graphics stuff.

The bank tool from your system is superb, as we use the small file extractor and upload the data into the dkpsystem database, tick the check-box, "Bob's your uncle Fannies your aunt" and it's all displayed for you.... But I gave up WoW over half a year ago now and this tool is not available to LOTRO people. We currently type everything into MS Excel and with some function tools in another column, the worksheet builds the bbcode in order for me to copy and past into a dedicated forum thread. This is not ideal and time consuming. Other offerings allow your to assign people specifically administer the bank and type straight into the database. This would be easier, as the duties of looking after the bank can be shared easily. That said, no one has the importer feature to my knowledge...... So when it comes around the LOTRO it would be sweet.

You CAN actually use it with LOTRO (and all games) now.

Click on the character and then you can click "Edit your Inventory" (or something like that). So it's not an importer, but you CAN specify the inventory of the characters. You can at least use the Guild Bank functionality with that then. If you have further questions on that, let me know.

As for the loot link, its a lovely touch, and not everyone appears to do something like this. The reason we mentioned MMODB, is that the user can submit data themselves, which is good, as it builds a more comprehensive database and a shorter period of time. WarCry.com is very slow, limited in data and somewhat awkward to use. You may have also seen in the thread I pointed you to about using API. I have no idea what this is, but perhaps you could shed a little light on that for me?

An API just stands for "Application Programmer Interface" and that just means it's a way for a programmer to interface a program with someone's service or device. I'm actually going to look into moving the item database over to mmodb for both lotro and vanguard (since the vanguard item links have been broken for over a month - and I'm sorry to all vanguard guilds for that).

The likely outcome of all this is that we will not move to another sight, it was hard enough getting our members to sign up in the first place, so moving I think would be a bad idea. But the discussion is highlighting some points that perhaps you might want to see.

I certainly appreciate the contructive criticism (as I always do anyway).

--
You CAN actually use it with LOTRO (and all games) now.

Click on the character and then you can click "Edit your Inventory" (or something like that). So it's not an importer, but you CAN specify the inventory of the characters. You can at least use the Guild Bank functionality with that then. If you have further questions on that, let me know.

Had a look at the character profile and I can only see the "Add/Edit Gear You Want" which is related to the loot system. So it's not ideal. That said, something like that for the Bank option would be great. that choice of importing or typing would work. Or maybe the the option you are referring too, simply is not in our system?
Had a look at the character profile and I can only see the "Add/Edit Gear You Want" which is related to the loot system. So it's not ideal. That said, something like that for the Bank option would be great. that choice of importing or typing would work. Or maybe the the option you are referring too, simply is not in our system?

Sure enough. It looks like I never deployed that change, though it's been ready for weeks.

I went ahead and deployed that change properly and now there should be an "[Edit Inventory]" link on your character profile.

--
Had a look at this and it's pretty neat.

Decided against using it for the banks though. I remembered that you can use bbcode or html in the menus themselves, which I will do for the time being. Means I am not referring people to a forums thread, so its looks tidier. I will some HTML to make it look a little snazzier too.

Did you see the bit I put in about reputation? Would that be hard to implement?

Thanks for you time Chops. It's been appreciated.
I did indeed see the factions thing, and I will plan on adding something like that.

--

[Back to Index]