Password:

Forgot your password?
No Decay on Spent; No Tax on Negative DKP

No Decay on Spent; No Tax on Negative DKP
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [Support]
Secondary: None

I've been playing around with decay and taxes for our DKP, and I'm confused by the behavior. I cloned our system twice, and I introduced decay on one clone and a tax on the other. In the decay clone, the earned DKP is decaying as expected, but there's no decay on the spent DKP. I expected both to decay. Without decaying the spent DKP, the system makes no sense.

In the taxed clone, only the positive DKP was taxed. My guild uses a zero-sum scheme, and I was hoping that the percentage modifier in the tax would get applied to negative DKP as well to bring those values closer to zero. This would shrink the overall DKP range, combat inflation, and maintain the zero sum.

Are there additional settings to cause the spent DKP to decay and to cause the percentage modifier from a tax to apply to negative DKP?

Thanks.
Thanks for the heads up. Apparently, there was a bug preventing the decay of spent properly. This is fixed.

As for the taxes, you are correct, it only taxes the positive and does not apply a negative tax to the negative slots. This is perhaps a setting that can be added.

--
It's all in the reflexes.
Thanks, Chops!
Quote by Chops
As for the taxes, you are correct, it only taxes the positive and does not apply a negative tax to the negative slots. This is perhaps a setting that can be added.

A setting like that would be great!

It looks like we'll still be doing manual adjustments for half the roster until then.
I was wondering if anybody could help explain to me exactly how my decay works whilst a player is negative.

From another post, the default decay is something like this:
Let d = number of days ago the DKP(s) was/were awarded

if d <=45 then e = 1
else e = sqrt(145-d)/10

if e <= 0.25 then e = 0.25

Where e is the effective DKP value

In my system we're set up to start decaying after one day, and the points then take 20 days to decay to 0% of their original value.

So, I'm guessing my decay formula becomes this:
Let d = number of days ago the DKP(s) was/were awarded

if d <=1 then e = 1
else e = sqrt(21-d)/10

if e <= 0.00 then e = 0.00

Where e is the effective DKP value

The confusing part for me is when my site tells me that negative players are going to lose more points overnight (possibly because it still decays spent points?), but the DKP tracking graph shows them going up very very slowly (if they don't raid during that time). Is there a way to tell my 'Decay Rate' column to display the changes accurately with a positive value?

Also, what is the purpose behind decaying spent points? Would there be something wrong with a system that only decayed unspent points? I guess I'm a little confused about the whole spent/unspent dynamic. Any help would be appreciated.

Quote by Sel
Also, what is the purpose behind decaying spent points?

The idea behind that model is to show a "what have you done for me lately" representation of points. You don't necessarily care that a player was highly productive six months ago, but you do care that he or she has been productive within the last month.

Decaying both earned and spent points effectively fades the past to focus on more recent contributions and deductions.

If only earnings were decayed, you would get disproportionate totals that would actually disadvantage your longer-standing members versus newer or spendthrift ones.
To add to Baiko's excellent explanation, you CAN choose to tax the total value, which would serve a similar purpose as decaying only the unspent points.

Decay itself doesn't work on the aggregate, it works on the individual event level.

--
It's all in the reflexes.
I was just wondering if you were able to look into implementing a setting to taxes that allowed automating a negative tax to the negative slots?

Doing these manually every week is proving to be a bit of a cumbersome task.

[Back to Index]