Password:

Forgot your password?
Favicon

Favicon
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [General]
Secondary: None

Are there any specific settings I have to use for this. i tried uploading one and it didn't work. Format? Size?

--
Six Demon BagRefresh This Item
Jack Burton: Hey, what more can a guy ask for?
Egg Shen: Oh, a six-demon bag!
Jack Burton: Terrific, a six-demon bag. Sensational. What's in it, Egg?
Egg Shen: Wind, fire, all that kind of thing!
You'll notice in your layout file you have these two lines:

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/settings/www/icon">
<link rel="icon" href="/settings/www/icon">

You'll want to change those to be /settings/inconceivable/icon

--
It's all in the reflexes.
You'll notice in your layout file you have these two lines:

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/settings/www/icon">
<link rel="icon" href="/settings/www/icon">

You'll want to change those to be /settings/inconceivable/icon

Ok. I'll fix that when I really find an icon I want

--
Six Demon BagRefresh This Item
Jack Burton: Hey, what more can a guy ask for?
Egg Shen: Oh, a six-demon bag!
Jack Burton: Terrific, a six-demon bag. Sensational. What's in it, Egg?
Egg Shen: Wind, fire, all that kind of thing!
Hey Chops,

I have tried all manner of different methods, even those listed on the forums here and can not seem to get the favicon to work.

I tried, .ico extesions, .png and .gif extentions.

Can you look at the layout and see what it is I am doing wrong. I left it the last way that I have tried it.

Tried all these different syntax and still no go.

Thanks.
Sorry to trouble ya with this.

--
Sreh
If it's not showing in IE, I honestly don't know what to do because IE's favicon thing is flakey.

Does it work in firefox.

--
Hmm... I can see it in Firefox, but only showing under my favorites and not on the address bar. Kind of wierd. I'm going bald from this too.

--
Sreh
You know what the problem is? I see it now, looking at your code (Like the layout, btw).

Your line is this:

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/settings/penumbra/icon/favicon.ico">

Change it to

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/settings/penumbra/icon">

The trailing "/favicon.ico" part is what's giving you problems.

--
Well I changed the <link> line to what you said it should be. I do remember adding and changing that line a couple of times, along with several others.

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/settings/penumbra/icon"> the line posted above.
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/dkpfiles.com/penumbra/icon"> the line listed under the favicon page in admins.

Both of the above with /favicon.ico added as well.
Many different ways... Many different img formats too...

I just found out that it works perfectly in Firefox, but not in IE, go figure. Though I can see many other favicons from other site just fine. Oh well... I will take a break from it for awhile and let some of my hair grow back.

--
Sreh

IE Favicons work a bit differently. First off, in Pre-IE7, they truly are FAVicons... meaning, they only appear once the site is added to your favorites menu.

That said, it still is a rather flaky incorporation as it still often doesn't work.

In IE7 though, your favicon should work just fine... as a matter of fact, it works perfectly for me, and I'm using IE7
Quote by Noblekain

IE Favicons work a bit differently. First off, in Pre-IE7, they truly are FAVicons... meaning, they only appear once the site is added to your favorites menu.

That said, it still is a rather flaky incorporation as it still often doesn't work.

In IE7 though, your favicon should work just fine... as a matter of fact, it works perfectly for me, and I'm using IE7

Ok, they are working fine for you? Have you visited my site? cause I can't see it in IE7, which I am using, and I have the site in my Fav's also. I can sit it just fine in Firefox, but I don't really like using firefox since 2.0.

--
Sreh
Yeah, I can see it just fine. Looks like the Lotr logo, or perhaps it's the icon from the movie The Ring... but yeah, I can see it.
Quote by Noblekain
Yeah, I can see it just fine. Looks like the Lotr logo, or perhaps it's the icon from the movie The Ring... but yeah, I can see it.

Cool, at least someone can see it. Actually it is just a Solar Eclipse img. To match the color theme of the site I need to change the hue. But it is cool that some can see it with IE. Now I just got to figure out why my IE7 can't see it.

--
Sreh
Here's a twist...

On my Firefox, favicon works perfectly... no suprise there.
On my IE7, favicon doesn't work at all... no suprise there.

Now this is on my desktop, switch over to my laptop, not sure why I didn't think of this before...

In IE7 on my laptop the favicon works perfectly, go figure. Now, if I can just figure out why my desktop system wont display it... It shows favicons for all the other sites no problem.

--
Sreh
Oh here is another twist now... all of a sudden my desktop decided it WILL display the favicon for me lol. From screenies that members have sent me they have been seeing them from the start. Only my comp decided when it wanted to show it.

--
Sreh
Perhaps it was just caching the old non-working version (or part of it).

When it doubt, clear the cache.

--
Quote by Chops
Perhaps it was just caching the old non-working version (or part of it).

When it doubt, clear the cache.

LoL ya I did that several times... Chalking this one up to IE flakiness.

--
Sreh

[Back to Index]