Password:

Forgot your password?
Post Notification added!

Post Notification added!
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [General]
Secondary: None

There are notifiers for if someone makes a private post targeting you. This setting is in your "Edit Profile" setting.

You'll also notice at the top of every thread is a checkbox for "Notify me of posts to this thread" which will also allow you to get exactly that...notification if someone adds a post to the thread.

----
The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.

--
It's all in the reflexes.
There are notifiers for if someone makes a private post targeting you. This setting is in your "Edit Profile" setting.

You'll also notice at the top of every thread is a checkbox for "Notify me of posts to this thread" which will also allow you to get exactly that...notification if someone adds a post to the thread.

----
The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.

Wow nice add. Can you maybe put in a configurable like this for any new thread. I've had a few people ask if there was a way to autorefresh the forums. An alert might be an answer for this.

----
Warlock - Lord Templar

--
Six Demon BagRefresh This Item
Jack Burton: Hey, what more can a guy ask for?
Egg Shen: Oh, a six-demon bag!
Jack Burton: Terrific, a six-demon bag. Sensational. What's in it, Egg?
Egg Shen: Wind, fire, all that kind of thing!
Good call. After making this, I found myself wanting that as well. It'll come in very handy when I'm deep in coding mode and I miss support posts on the forums for a few hours. It'd be nice to get them right away and be notified that there are pending posts.

Of course, if your site gets huge, no one wants to get 70 emails a day for every post on the forum.

----

--
Good call. After making this, I found myself wanting that as well. It'll come in very handy when I'm deep in coding mode and I miss support posts on the forums for a few hours. It'd be nice to get them right away and be notified that there are pending posts.

Of course, if your site gets huge, no one wants to get 70 emails a day for every post on the forum.

----

Ok so maybe I missed something from the original post you made. Is the notification going to be via email? I made an assumption that it would be via something similar like you used for the approval system. Like an Alert box that would show up on the botton right when I had a new private message waiting for me.

I guess because I made an assumption that you were using the pages alert box system similar to a pending approval that this is what I would get not an email.

So is it possible instead of getting an email that you could build this into the Alert Box functionality. Show me the alert on page when I have a new private thread to me or a post I have marked as a favorite has had a new post added to it. Also my suggestion above about a notification of new posts. Obviously this opens and entire can of worms about how you could customize this. I am not sure about other guilds on their forums but we have some tags broken out for guild only stuff like meetings and raid event updates. So being able to watch for message in a specific category by tag would be cool too. Which spawns another nice add for the even calendar. Same thing there. A notification that a new event has been added would be awesome. I can't tell you how many times I have been aked to add something that will get peoples attention regarding the event and housekeeping things we want them to do.

Now for this to work as I see it in my mind. The alert fuction has to have some kind of global refresh so that if a user makes a post it automatically sends an alert to those players logged in. This would actually be handy for approval notifications. Right now I only see them when I get a manually refresh the page I am on or go to a different page. Often I simply leave my site page up and periodically check it for pending approvals.

----
Warlock - Lord Templar

--
Yes, the notifications are via email.

The Alert box, at this point, is only updated when a page is refreshed.

As for the event notification, perhaps the color thing on the calendar will be a good notification.

If you want to see if there are new posts, it's as simple as looking at the statistic for who's the last poster, or going to the forum page. The point of these notifications is for notifying people who aren't at their website. If you're already AT your website, then telling you there's a new post is simply unnecessary.

What I cann possibly see being useful for employing the alert system, is for threads you want to FORCE people to read, like the meeting stuff you mentioned. Something on the Alert Box is supposed to be rare. It's supposed be like "Oh Hey, there's an alert." It shouldn't be "I'll check thge alert box today to see if there's maybe something new." (Which is why the raid signup system needs a rehash something fierce, because it ends up with a constant alert box). If there are alerts for every single new post or whatever, the alert box will always be there and people will start ignoring it.

Alternatively, if you want people to know about a meeting or something, that's exactly what the newsletter system was designed for. Since, just like my first example. If someone doesn't go to the website, they're not going to get the alert anyway, however if you send them an email, they'll get it regardless.

Ultimately, at this time, I'm going to have to disagree with you about making posts be an alert in the alert system. Alerts need to be relatively rare, and that's why the "Raid signup" process is getting redone soon.

PS, I will though, be adding some type of alert for an invite into chat.
----

--
Yes, the notifications are via email.

The Alert box, at this point, is only updated when a page is refreshed.

As for the event notification, perhaps the color thing on the calendar will be a good notification.

If you want to see if there are new posts, it's as simple as looking at the statistic for who's the last poster, or going to the forum page. The point of these notifications is for notifying people who aren't at their website. If you're already AT your website, then telling you there's a new post is simply unnecessary.

What I cann possibly see being useful for employing the alert system, is for threads you want to FORCE people to read, like the meeting stuff you mentioned. Something on the Alert Box is supposed to be rare. It's supposed be like "Oh Hey, there's an alert." It shouldn't be "I'll check thge alert box today to see if there's maybe something new." (Which is why the raid signup system needs a rehash something fierce, because it ends up with a constant alert box). If there are alerts for every single new post or whatever, the alert box will always be there and people will start ignoring it.

Alternatively, if you want people to know about a meeting or something, that's exactly what the newsletter system was designed for. Since, just like my first example. If someone doesn't go to the website, they're not going to get the alert anyway, however if you send them an email, they'll get it regardless.

Ultimately, at this time, I'm going to have to disagree with you about making posts be an alert in the alert system. Alerts need to be relatively rare, and that's why the "Raid signup" process is getting redone soon.

PS, I will though, be adding some type of alert for an invite into chat.
----

All good points and more than fair. To be honest I forgot the News Letter function was there. I'll need to start using it more often.

----
Warlock - Lord Templar

--
Is this feature still active? I can't seem to find a way to email-subscribe to any of the threads on my new little site (http://nexus.dkpsystem.com)

Thanks,

Cody
Yup, it was merged into the "Favorite" function. Mark a thread as "Favorite" and you'll get notified when it gets updated.

--
Awesome, thanks!

One thing I had on my old site was the ability to get a notification when anyone posted a new thread in the, for instance, Officer's forum. Any way to do this, and if not, may I suggest it as a future enhancement?

Thanks again,

Cody
That is a feature I've been meaning to add. I want it for myself, for sure. I have for a while, actually.

--

[Back to Index]