Guild Google Map

Guild Google Map
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [General]
Secondary: None

1 2 >>>
Alrighty, many of you will notice a new member to your Menu called "Guild Map."

Using the "Location" field in the Account info, a google map will plot the members of your guild.

Check it out.

If you are using Advanced Layout Options, you'll want to make a link to the file map.php.

Quick Sample: http://www.poopinashoe.com/map.php

--
It's all in the reflexes.
Sweet! Nice addition!
Indeed a very nice add-on.

However i tried entering a few scottish places, and it didnt work. ( tried Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee ) even went on to try London. Still no luck...

It did work with Dublin.

Any idea what could be up? Can anyone else get it working for Scottish places?

EDIT: Just relogged - clicked guild map, it said it didnt recognise the place i had entered. "Glasgow"
Chances are, you're going to want to say "Glasgow, Scottland" rather than just "Glasgow."

I just entered "Glasgow, Scottland" into google maps, and it referred me to "glasgow, UK" so you might want to try that instead.

--
Hmm not sure if it is my layout or what. But this is yet another page that blows my right hand menus off the screen.

--
Six Demon BagRefresh This Item
Jack Burton: Hey, what more can a guy ask for?
Egg Shen: Oh, a six-demon bag!
Jack Burton: Terrific, a six-demon bag. Sensational. What's in it, Egg?
Egg Shen: Wind, fire, all that kind of thing!
Quote by Chops
Chances are, you're going to want to say "Glasgow, Scottland" rather than just "Glasgow."

I just entered "Glasgow, Scottland" into google maps, and it referred me to "glasgow, UK" so you might want to try that instead.

tried it. Gave me this.

"We didn't understand your currently entered location of 'Glasgow, UK'. Please re-enter it if you'd like your account to show on the map."

I'm really at a loss here. I don't know what we need to do to make google understand the query.

Here you can try different versions on google's official API documentation.

http://www.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/geocoder2.html

But, I have no idea why you can't enter "Glasgow, Scotland" or "Glasgow, UK" here but they both work on plain maps.google.com

--
So apparently, the UK and China, have political issues with having Google work with the country.

http://mapki.com/wiki/Read_This_First#Geocoding_UK_or_China

I'm looking into the workaround listed on the page.

--
Quote by Chops
So apparently, the UK and China, have political issues with having Google work with the country.

http://mapki.com/wiki/Read_This_First#Geocoding_UK_or_China

I'm looking into the workaround listed on the page.

Bah, silly country i live in
Thanks for taking the time.
It works good when it works. When I try to move the map around, I lose at least half of the map.

I dont know if it is a dkp thing or just a google map thing. But it makes it almost useless to me since I cant move around and click on anything.

Anyone else with this problem?

Happens in IE7 and firefox.
I lose at least half of the map.

I've not experienced this. What do you mean when you say "Lose at least half the map"? Like, it just disappears or something?

--
I've noticed some zoom level dont work, displaying a graphic that says basically "not available" but the graphic doesnt always show up. Although i can't replicate it now. Probably a google issue at that moment.

Also, seems like there is a problem if you have 2 people at the same location. Either my wife or I, but not both will show for Reno, Nv. Don't know if thats on your side or the google api side.
I've not experienced this. What do you mean when you say "Lose at least half the map"? Like, it just disappears or something?

Screenie attached
Yeah, another UK person here. From what I understand, it's a licensing issue from Royal Mail in the UK, where they force terms on Google to happily use the geocoding info only for their own software and not for third party versions. Essentially the geocoding is just a mapping from useful strings/postcodes to lat/long coords.

I'm not familiar with the google maps API, however it's a dead certainty that there is some way of entering a lat/long coord set - be it 42.3,-10.4 format, just a six digit grid reference...

Is it your custom component Chops or is it build by someone else?

It is mine, and I've been considering adding some sort of postal code-lat/lng lookup specificlly for UK addresses.

--
Quote by Chops

It is mine, and I've been considering adding some sort of postal code-lat/lng lookup specificlly for UK addresses.

Cool, well that'd work. There are free systems that do it. That said, I'd be happy to just have a second field allowing me to enter my lat/long. Or just a right click menu for the map where you can just say "Set my location to here"
I was one of the first to add my name and location to this...now its not there...how do I add it again?....Could it be because someone else is in same exact location and it removed me?

--
I was one of the first to add my name and location to this...now its not there...how do I add it again?....Could it be because someone else is in same exact location and it removed me?

It didn't remove you, they just happen to be "on top" of you. I'll be making some changes that when two people are in the same location that it will make automatic minor adjustments to shift things around just to avoid that kind of problem. For now, however, you can always use Zip code.

--
Using zip code is fine...but i have no clue where to enter that...i dont see an option to re-add myself at all...

--
Quote by Nesutisa
Using zip code is fine...but i have no clue where to enter that...i dont see an option to re-add myself at all...

Click on "Edit your Account Profile" and there's a "Location" box on that page.

--

1 2 >>>
[Back to Index]